Monday, July 28, 2008

Raisin Pies (Tarte aux Raisins)

Ingredients:
1 pkg (375g) Large brown seedless raisins (Lexia type). Rinse in water if gritty.
Enough water to cover raisins in med sized pot.


Let stand at least 1 hour (or more) until raisins are plump.


Add:
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt


Cook over med heat until raisins are fluffy, about 1/2 hour.
Taste and add more brown sugar if needed.

Thicken mixture with flour and water (equal amounts) until spoon stands up by itself in mixture.

Add 1 tsp vanilla.

Cool before putting in crust. Bake at 375F until crust is golden brown.


Comments:
One bag of raisins makes 1 large round glass Pyrex pie or two tin foil pies.
These freeze very well once cooked. Simply thaw partway in microwave and finish reheating in oven.
This is my mother's recipe, handed down to her from her mother. It is a traditional Acadian desert typically eaten at Christmas time. I have tried to make it myself, but I have not succeeded in replicating my mother's pies. I will have to keep practising :-)

No comments: